Westford Community Access Television Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)3 appointed as Access Provider in the vibrant, increasingly diverse, and growing town of 25,000 in Westford, Massachusetts.
Westford CAT serves the Town, and the community, providing PEG Programming (Public, Educational, Government), Community Outreach and the delivery of public interest reporting including: town government, local community service programs, upcoming major events, and other community interest content.
Westford CAT’s mission is to promote the use of local access to enhance a free and diverse exchange of ideas and interests that foster community participation and educational opportunities.
Currently, Westford CAT (WCAT) receives about $500,000 per year for PEG access through an MOU with the Town of Westford, supplemented by funds it raises through grants, fees, production services, and other fundraising activities. WCAT seeks to increase supplemental funding to 20% of its budget by 2022 to support ambitious service delivery goals.
The Executive Director is WCAT’s principal spokesperson. The Executive Director should be a team player able to lead the staff implementing the Board’s plans and vision while managing the daily activities of the organization, ensuring the delivery of community services sustainably in accordance with the organization’s mission and policies in compliance with the law.
The Executive Director must interact well with the Board and volunteers as well as government, education and community leaders; sustain organizational stability and financial health; and oversee the management and training of staff. This person actively maintains productive relationships with members of a wide variety of communities in Greater Westford, implementing practices to meet objectives and accomplish organizational goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assure that WCAT’s objectives and goals are met, using specialized skills and knowledge regarding public access community multimedia and the news.
· Prepare annual capital and operational budgets and financial statements, adjusting the budget as necessary to assure fiscal stability and responsiveness to direction by the Board of Directors.
· Hire, supervise and evaluate staff, providing guidance and training to assure consistency of operations with WCAT’s objectives, programs and policies.
· Direct WCAT’s outreach, marketing and public relations activities.
· Ensure professional journalistic ethics and standards are observed by staff.
· Represent and promote a positive image of WCAT with community organizations, government entities and the general public.
· Manage operations, programs, services, training and facility use.
· Write, Shoot and Edit professional quality stories, and video.
· Work effectively as a team member and leader.
· Must be willing to work nights and weekends to cover meetings and events.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
· Negotiate and assure compliance with all WCAT’s contracts, and assure that WCAT meets standards imposed by funding sources.
· Create and maintain an organizational structure that fosters well-organized and dependable service supported by volunteers.
· Cultivate shared deliberation and planning related to organizational development and operations.
· Expand, sustain and administer an active volunteer recruitment program, working with representatives of Westford area government entities, educational institutions, libraries, and nonprofit organizations, etc.
· Keep informed of trends, issues, events and developments within community media through peer contacts, conferences and workshops participation.
· Direct efforts to achieve the organization's strategic goals, which currently include: (1) engage the community through the WCAT ‘Task Force’ and raising the level of awareness of the organization and its services; (2) expand and diversify funding sources and levels; (3) support an engaged Board; (4) provide services, equipment, and programming to meet the needs of the community; including News and (5) improve channel signal quality and access to program information on cable system interactive program guides.
Minimum Employment Standards and Requirements:
· BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience. Degree in Media, Visual Arts, Journalism, Communication or desired but not required. Advanced degree preferred.
· A minimum of five (5) years of management or supervisory experience in the community media field, or related areas such as public administration, etc.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the cable TV and public access community media field, including federal, state and local cable regulations, program production, operating rules, training, and related matters.
· Software and hardware skills for TV and News production; Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier experience preferred.
· Demonstrated experience in fiscal administration, planning, nonprofit management, marketing/public relations, and human resource development.
· Understanding of municipal budget processes, and financial development.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
· Demonstrated desire to positively impact the community and to improve public dialogue through access to communications media.
· Ability to outreach to and work with diverse groups, individuals, and opinions.
· Valid driver’s license required. This person will need to drive the WCAT van or their personal car to events on occasion.
· This person must be able to lift at least 40 pounds and may be required to work on their feet long periods of time.
· Employment is contingent on passing a CORI background check.
· Experience with Westford government agencies and community groups.
· Experience with traditional and non-traditional revenue streams, including License Agreements, production services, grant writing, sponsorships and working with a Board of Directors on fundraising ideas.
· Experience and comfort with the use of social media tools for marketing and recruitment purposes
· Familiarity with models of "citizen journalism" and other forms of digital aggregation of community content, and previous experience with youth-created media and/or media literacy projects and classes.
· Experience working with Producers developing content and editing of projects.
· Verbal, writing and presentation skills that reveal an ability to communicate effectively with government, business, academic, and community groups.
· Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and coordinate outreach/volunteer programs.
· Experience with Google Analytics
Anticipated Employment Starting Date: September 1, 2020 if not before.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for the position. Employees will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required to fulfill all job responsibilities and the mission of the organization. The starting salary will be appropriate for a community media center of this magnitude in this location, commensurate with applicant’s qualifications. A benefits package is also included.
Applicants must submit:
(1) Detailed cover letter (describing how your experience, knowledge and skills match the identified duties and responsibilities, minimum employment standards and requirements, and desirable qualifications of this position);
(2) Current resume;
(3) Statement regarding the applicant’s salary and benefits requirements; and
(4) Three professional references with telephone numbers and email addresses.
Submit the application materials described above -- as PDF format attachments to an e-mail message – to Mr. Shunhe Xiong at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received.
Applications must be received no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, April 3, 2020.
Links to information Westford CAT: westfordcat.org