Burlington Cable Access Television (BCAT) is seeking a motivated self-starter to fill an opening for our position of News Producer. The News Producer is responsible for BCAT’s news coverage and must be comfortable in front of the camera as well as behind it. Collaboration with others is a must for this position, and candidates should be open to feedback and have a desire to grow in their role.
- Write articles for BCAT’s daily newsletter and copy for BNEWS Weekly
- Cover pertinent meetings for news (including, but not limited to: Select Board, School Committee, Planning Board, Town Meeting) and select clips for the news/website
- Work with executive director and production coordinators to assign stories
- Edit news stories written and/or produced by other staff
- Develop special segments for the news in addition to the regular segments
- Administer the news section of the BCAT website, BNEWS’s social media pages as well as BCAT’s daily newsletter and breaking news blasts
- Attend/Cover special events in town
- Produce weekly news and monthly news specials
- Coordinate Election Season Coverage and Participate in BCAT’s press panel
- Community Outreach: Establish and maintain relations with station and local officials, community leaders and department heads to generate leads for news.
- Develop a volunteer reporting staff
- Train and supervise news interns
- Work with the staff to promote the news and grow BCAT’s audience.
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A degree in Journalism or related field, or 2+ years of equivalent local news and feature writing experience
- Superior interviewing and information-gathering skills
- The initiative, curiosity and creativity needed to generate fresh story ideas
- Previous experience building audience through social networks (Twitter, Facebook and beyond)
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to work independently while juggling multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud
- Skills in photography, videography and/or graphics are a plus
A flexible schedule is a must including nights and weekends.
Send resume, letter of interest and samples our your work to firstname.lastname@example.org